Tata Motors has become the first OEM to provide Collision Mitigation System (CMS) and Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) solutions on its medium and heavy duty commercial vehicles.
The company for the purpose is working in collaboration with WABCO India. Tata Motors will implement WABCO’s pioneering technologies which have been optimized for India’s operating conditions.
Through this partnership, Tata Motors is providing safety technologies in their vehicles, like Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Automatic Traction Control (ATC), Hill Start Aid (HSA), a Collision Mitigation System (CMS) and a Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS).
The company had also deployed Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for medium and heavy duty commercial vehicles last year. Now the company offers Collision Mitigation System (CMS) and a Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) for PRIMA and SIGNA trucks.
This ambitious goal is aimed at reducing the number of road accidents, increasing vehicular as well as occupant safety, in a broad range of visibility conditions. Offering enhanced operational efficiency the systems will also help reduce operating costs for fleets.
The WABCO Collision Mitigation System (OnGuardASSIST)
Implemented by Tata Motors, alerts the driver to potentially critical driving situations via acoustic, visual and haptic signals. Should the driver fail to take corrective action, the system provides active braking on moving and stopping vehicles to mitigate or prevent impending rear-end collisions.
The system utilizes a powerful 77GHz radar sensor that maintains the system’s high performance in all weather conditions. Its superior performance is particularly vital in poor visibility situations such as heavy rain, dense fog, blinding sunshine and night-time driving when camera-based sensors used on other collision mitigation systems may be impaired.
Key advantages of the Collision Mitigation System include:
- Warns of moving, stopping and stationary vehicles ahead even in poor visibility conditions.
- Active braking on moving and stopping vehicles when the system detects an impending collision
- Helps mitigate or avoid impending rear-end collisions to enhance safety
- Helps to avoid fatalities, injuries and accident-related costs
- High bandwidth enables accuracy in object detection
- Improves driver effectiveness across all levels of experience
- Optimizes vehicle uptime with less maintenance and repair requirements
The WABCO Lane Departure Warning System (OnLaneALERT)
It will help prevent unintentional lane departure, one of the most common causes of accidents involving commercial vehicles. The system utilizes a forward-looking, windshield-mounted camera to monitor and calculate the vehicle’s position within the lane.
When OnLaneALERT detects the vehicle crossing lane markings without the turn signal being activated, the system sounds an audible warning. This alerts the driver to take corrective action to prevent potential collisions and lane departure related road accidents.
Key advantages of the Lane Departure Warning System include:
- Helps vehicle drivers to remain within road lanes
- Recognizes lane markings and evaluates vehicle position
- Warns the driver with an audible alarm
- Alerts the driver to take corrective action to prevent unintentional lane drift
- Helps avoid potential collisions and lane departure road accidents
- Supports the driver in maintaining their attention levels and encourages the use of turn signals
Research conducted by India’s Ministry of Road Transport and Highways on Indian expressway and highway accidents reveals that the majority of road fatalities are caused by loss of vehicle control resulting in rear-end collisions, unintended road departures and vehicle rollovers. It is expected that this move will help reduce driver error and will significantly enhance commercial vehicle safety on India’s roads.